Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Receiving contributions and donations. Micro transactions are coming alive

I've written before about how we can (and should) fight advertising on the web by giving writers, artists, and creators another viable alternative to make an honest living: via microtransactions and micropayments.

Too bad, not enough is written about how we could do this. Until today, even the idea of posting my lighting address on this blog had not occurred to me. And I read and write about this kind of stuff every week!

So here it is. This blog now has my lightning address in a meta tag embedded in the <header> of this blog. 

From now on, any browser that supports this out-of-the-box or via a plugin, can make a donation to me with a few simple clicks. 

So, how did I propel my blog, from its late '90 root in arcane HTML, into the bright light of this glorious 21st century?

By opening the Blogger Theme explorer, clicking the "edit HTML" button and adding one line of code under the <header> tag. This was the line of code:

<meta name="lightning" content="lnurlp:theothertwo@getalby.com"/>

That was it. That was all that I needed to do. No angels wept nor thunder did strike when I pressed "save changes" and yet, now I'm ready for the value4value future that I keep reading and hearing about.

Are you interested in how you can receive payments directly from a Twitter/x account, YouTube account or personal blog? The team at Alby have a solution and step-by-step explainer and for you here: https://getalby.com/value4value


No comments: