Saturday, October 14, 2023

CBF: Underrated Cause of Tech Debt – Pursuit Of Laziness – A blog by Jesse Duffield




Some gold nuggets of wisdom about how to approach work as a programmer. And really any other kind of work. 

Is it burnout? Maybe. Is it a lack of Growth Mindset? Hard to say. Is it just the reality of my personality? Who knows.

As I continue my journey as a developer I learn more about myself, and one of the things I've learnt is that my motivation ebbs and flows. I'll have a good run, inhabiting the persona of the developers I look up to, however imperfectly, until I once again find myself with the constraint that trumps all the extrinsic constraints of the project at hand: a deficiency of motivation.


Maybe you don't have the energy to write perfect code, but honesty requires less creativity than lying. It's a breath of fresh air when a contributor admits some element of their pull request is lacking because they're lazy. At least then you have the opportunity to judge for yourself whether their laziness exceeds your own standards or whether their time is indeed better spent working on the next thing. That's a much easier game to play than bandying software engineering maxims.



No comments: